Smartcard FAQ


Why does my card not read on print/copy screen display?

Your card will need to be reconfigured. This can be done in the Card Office located within the Nexus Building/Student Centre. The Card Office is open from 9:00-12:30 and 2:00-4:30.

What happens if I lose my student SmartCard?

You can call directly to the Card Office and a member of staff will lock your account, thus stopping anybody from using your credits to purchase anything using your account. This can also be done over the phone by calling 021 4326082. If the card is found it is possible to re-activate your account. If you get a new card then the original credit will carry across to the new student card.

How do I top up my student card?

Your student card can be topped up online using a Laser or credit card at, where the minimum top-up is €10. Alternatively, you can drop into the Card Office in the Student Centre (Room S101) where you can top-up using cash, with a minimum top-up of €1. Your card must be topped up to avail of CIT’s printing and photocopying services.

What happens to credit that is left on a students account once they finish college - is it reimbursed?

As we are very much in the early stages of the CIT Smart Card, we have not come across this situation yet. Generally we would not expect any credit to remain on the card once a student finishes in College as the CIT smart card has now been extended to the Canteen, snack bar, and both shops, so it is much easier to use credit on the card. Experience in other colleges using similar systems, has shown that where balances are left, they tend to be very small and measured in cents rather than euro.

Q. Does credit from this academic year continue through to next year ?

A.The CIT Smart Card remains active from one academic year to the next, so any amounts remaining will still be available in the next academic year. Additionally, the transaction history on the account also remains to give a full account of all top-ups and expenditure using the card. The account remains active for as long as the student is registered in CIT.