CIT Mature Student Information Evening
Wednesday 23rd November 2016, CIT Bishopstown Campus
For entry SEPTEMBER 2016
- INFORMATION ON THE FOLLOWING:
- COURSE CONTENT
- INTRODUCTION TO CIT
- TAKING STEPS TO THIRD LEVEL EDUCATION
- FEES & FINANCIAL SUPPORTS
- THE MATURE STUDENT EXPERIENCE
- THE APPLICATION PROCESS
- CIT MATHS FOR MATURES PROGRAMME
- STUDENT SERVICES & SUPPORTS
Cork Institute of Technology strongly encourages applications from mature candidates and is continually working towards wider entry routes in order to increase participation of adult learners. Returning to education after a break, or entering it for the first time as a mature student can be daunting but exciting. The Mature Student brings with him/her life experiences along with determination and focus, all of which are conducive to successful learning. The number of mature students taking up full time higher education has increased steadily in the past 6 years.
There are a wide variety of courses at certificate, diploma and degree level to choose from within CIT. The Mature Student Officer has developed a comprehensive guide for mature students, please click here to download
Mature Student Supports – available to full time undergraduate mature students
CIT has a full time Mature Student Officer who provides support to prospective and registered mature students. A mature student is anybody who is 23 years of age or older by 1st January on the year of entry.
- Mature Student Information Sessions
- CAO Information Evening
- CIT Maths for Matures Programme
- Taster workshops
- Information sessions for Further Education and Community Groups
- One to one information sessions
- Orientation Programme
- Orientation Programme for Advanced Entrants (post year 1)
- Preparatory Maths Programme
Post Entry Support –for full time undergraduate registered students
The Mature Student Support Network is coordinated by the Mature Student Officer and provides support to full time undergraduate mature students during the academic year. It includes the following supports.
Mature Learning Support Service
One to One Support
- The aim of the Mature Learning Support Service is to provide support to mature students regarding research, reports and assignments for their course of study in CIT.
- The service provides a tutor to work with students on a one to one basis or with small groups, assisting students to develop sound research, planning and writing skills, proofread, edit and organise course work, and manage deadlines and priorities required for their course of study.
- To avail of this service email email@example.com to set up an appointment with the tutor.
- An initial assessment will be carried out by the tutor in which the number of one to one hours for tutor/student contact will be determined.
- Once the agreed number of hours has been delivered, a follow up assessment will be carried out to determine if further support is required.
Academic Writing Skills Workshops
Academic Writing Skills Workshops are also delivered as part of the Mature Learning Support Service. Mature Students will be notified of upcoming dates for these workshops by email once the academic year commences. Numbers are limited so booking is required. These workshops generally consist of 2 hours per week for 3 weeks and cover some of the following topics:
- Essay/Assignment/Report Writing
- Sentence Structure
- Study Skills
Through the Mature Student Officer, supports are also offered in particular topics that present difficulty for mature students e.g.
- Financial supports
- Use of the Scientific Calculator
- Specific subject areas
- Study Skills
- Exam Techniques
- Mathematics support sessions (delivered by the Academic Learning Centre, see www.cit.ie/academiclearningcentre for more information).
Where mature students are experiencing difficulty with a particular module/topic they are encouraged to contact the Mature Student Officer who may be in a position to organise appropriate supports and if not can refer students to the appropriate services. Contact Sinéad O’Neill or Christine Nolan for further information.
Sinéad O’Neill, Mature Student Officer,
T: 021 433 5109 E: firstname.lastname@example.org
Christine Nolan, Access Service Administrator
T: 021 433 5138 E: Christine.Nolan@cit.ie
Mature Student Society
The Mature Student Society is run for mature students by mature students. The group organises monthly coffee mornings as well as social events which take place several times a year. This is a great way to meet mature students from other courses across the college and to chat with people in a similar position to yourself and who may be experiencing similar issues and might have some tips on how to deal with them!
For further information contact:
Sinéad O’ Neill
Mature Student Officer
Access Office, Student Centre