share this page

Erasmus /International

This section gives information on DSS supports in CIT for Erasmus/International students coming to study at CIT and also information for current CIT DSS students who are looking to study abroad and how to research DSS supports in their host country/college.


Incoming Erasmus/International Students to CIT

Students coming to CIT on Erasmus study exchange/internship or International students coming from a higher education institution in another country who need DSS supports while at CIT should contact the DSS well in advance before they arrive.

  • Students must register with the CIT DSS and receive a needs assessment to confirm the supports they are entitled to in CIT. Registration information: access_disability/disability-support-service/registering
  • Students should understand that the DSS supports available in CIT may be different from those they receive in their home institution.
  • You should ask your home institution to fill out a CIT DSS Statement of Support form to confirm what supports you receive there and provide this to CIT DSS. (Please email if you need an MS Word copy).
  • You will also be asked to provide copies of your documents in English as evidence of your learning difference, disability or health condition. The DSS cannot pay for the costs of translating any documents into English.

Incoming International Students

We would advise International Students with learning differences, health conditions and disabilities who require DSS supports to contact CIT DSS as early as possible in their application process to discuss the supports that they require while studying at CIT.

As part of your preparations to study in CIT you should make a financial plan which includes additional disability related costs and any funding that may be available to cover these extra costs.

For more advice on studying as an International student at CIT please contact the CIT International Office website:

Incoming Erasmus students

Eligible Erasmus students with learning differences, health conditions and disabilities coming to CIT may be able to apply for additional Erasmus+ funding for additional costs of personal and academic supports while in Cork, such as a personal assistant, aids and equipment, adapted accommodation, travel assistance, or medical attendance.

Ask the Erasmus+ coordinator of your home higher education institution about the application procedure - including a copy of the application form and where/when to submit it, etc.

More information is available at:   

For queries about studying Erasmus at CIT, please contact the CIT Erasmus Office:


CIT DSS students needing supports while studying abroad

If you are thinking about going abroad to study for a semester or a year, as part of your CIT course and you are registered with the CIT DSS, you may need to consider whether you need supports in your host college.

You will need to look into how to get these supports and whether to apply for any funding for them. Make sure you research the disability and student supports available in the host college and any funding available. Remember there may be some big differences in supports between countries and colleges.

As part of registering for DSS supports in your host college and/or funding application CIT DSS can also provide information about your supports such as your needs assessment, a Statement of Supports and copies of your documents to your host institution with your permission. We can also review your needs assessment to make sure all of your supports stated are up to date.

Erasmus funding for DSS supports while studying abroad

Erasmus provides mobility funding to contribute towards the additional costs of studying abroad, such as travel expenses, language preparation costs, and higher general costs of living in the host country.

Students who receive an education grant or a fee waiver to study at CIT can keep these entitlements whilst on Erasmus.

CIT students may be able to apply to Erasmus+ as it has additional funding available for eligible students with disabilities for additional costs of supports - personal and academic support such as personal assistant, aids and equipment, adapted  accommodation, travel assistance, medical attendance.

You will need to get the exact costs of the supports from your host institution and/or external provider.

The DSS can help support you to complete the form that you will need to return to the CIT Erasmus office.

Please contact the CIT Erasmus Office: or the CIT DSS: for more information and a copy of the HEA funding application form when you are making your Erasmus application.

You can also check more information at: