Information for staff


If you have any concerns about a student or any questions, please contact the Student Counselling Service by:

• Phone: 021 4335772 
• Email:
• Calling into our office, Second Floor, Student Centre.

*Please note: We provide letters/reports for academic departments on students’ mitigating circumstances only where the student has had meaningful contact with the service prior to the need for such a letter or report.

When to refer a student

When a student feels distressed and begins to fall behind in their studies as a result of personal issues that arise during a student’s academic life, you should encourage them to seek help from the Counselling Service.

Common Signs of Student Distress:

  • Noticeable drop in grades
  • Poor class attendance or protracted absences
  • Loss of motivation/feelings of inadequacy
  • Inability to focus
  •  Feelings of anxiety and fear of failure
  •  Unusual/uncharacteristic behaviour
  •  Relationship split up
  •  Death or illness of family member or close friend
  •  Family problems

Supporting Student Wellbeing - One Minute Videos